Driveway Series Criterium Race - Thursday night workouts. I don't normally do the women's race but gave it a go.... Feels great when you win it!I am not sure what to say first... that I found the absolute BEST consignment store "Lovely Austin" or that I am addicted to the frozen yogurt shops here. Although healthier versions of shopping and eating deserts, in excessive amounts these could be potentially dangerous. Sorry I digress. This is a blog about triathlon stuff right!
So two wise men (Zane and Steve) have told me that either I am injured or not. There is little room for grey. So I am officially now in the “developing my base” phase again. There is, however, the reality that I have labral tears on both hips. How I manage these is what is interesting and the question remains of whether I can build up my run to a world class level. I think that I mine as well share some of the technical aspects of this mission as who knows who else is out there in cyber-world wondering the same thing as myself. Surgery or no surgery. Hopefully no surgery and I will run long into old age!
Along side the change in running mechanics, I am doing some serious core work. My core needs to be stellar so I can maintain my form and posture. Raven, the physiotherapist who I am working with at Advanced Rehabilitation, has me doing core work 6 days a week. Front, back, side planks feel like they go on forever, then there is the pilates core exercises, hamstring and glut exercises on the physioball and to top it off balance exercises. If I did not train on a professional level I don’t know how I would fit it all into my day to be honest. Not easily.
My longest run has been 40 minutes on grass. On Sunday I did 35 min in the morning and 25 in the early afternoon. That is a whole hour in 1 day! Amazing. So it comes slow but steady. I am still pain free although I know those tears in the right hip are there. Funny how everyday I run is a blessing and not taken for granted.
Because I know many are wondering what my “plans” are I have to say that there is no race planning aloud. Not until I am solid like a rock and ready to take on some serious competition. It has got to be fun and putting in a solid race with no excuses is the only way this will happen… and so I wait. That’s it for now… off to sleep before the next workout.
Interesting blog.
ReplyDeleteI concur with your statement that maintaining a good strong core enables one to perform better and increases power on the bike and on the run.
I am always interested in what exercises people do for core workout. I have a routine and want to add to it.
Would you like to share your core workout routine?