Sunday, May 1, 2011

My pre-race thoughts at Wildflower....

Wow. I am in another world of immense beauty. I was gob-smacked when I first arrived to Lake San Antonio, saw the hills, lake, and incredible work that was being accomplished by Dixie, Terry Davis and the whole Tri-California crew. A whole village of triathlon had sprung up amidst incredible natural beauty. This was going to be our playground for the weekend. Amazing. I had heard about “Wildflower” since I started triathlon but until you experience it and feel it, you really have no idea. The first thing I did was visit my friends at Specialized. I am still very green at the whole supported athlete thing so when I arrive with bike in hand, receive a warm hello, offered a drink, chair and then proceed to have my bike prepped, I think – this is it! Not only is my bike getting a tune-up, it is getting a new cassette which has an extra climbing tooth and new 808 Zipp super- fast wheels. Every time I race I get something that will make me faster. It is really just FUN!

I grabbed a cyclo-cross bike from Specialized (definitely the next “sport” I will do for fun) and then rode the run course. It is 60% trails, 40% road which makes it a little slower but harder. The trail takes you right along-side the lake, meanders through some meadows, up steep hills, past a few deer… most beautiful run course I have ever been on.

Two days ago while I was riding on the Shoreline highway 1 in California, I was honing in on WHY I do this sport. I have spoken about this in past blogs as something that you can have absolutely no doubt about. For me it is simply to be the absolute best athlete that I can be, no holding back, no excuses. I aim to understand what I can do when nothing (mostly myself) is in the way of being what my best is. If this best puts a gold medal around my neck, fantastic. If not, then it is what it is. Sometimes that is hard to take. Rarely do people take the time or space in life and have access to resources to do this. I do. Being able to appreciate this fact is what makes my experience or journey what it is. Arriving to a race and feeling so privileged to be here is what propels me to go on, to continue the sacrifices and dig deeper when it counts. This is what will be in my head racing tomorrow – dig deep, this is my time, know it, appreciate it and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment