I got to the race site and although wet I was not cold. It actually was warmer than the previous year. My warm-up and race prep went smoothly. The gun went off and the swim felt ok except that I was slow! I am not sure whether I chose the wrong line or whether I am just slower right now but I came out of the water a bit behind Alicia who I normally don't struggle to stay with or ahead of. The bike is where I felt a little sluggish as well. My body just didn't have the extra race ummph. Although I have not talked to Ken yet I know he is going to say.. what do you expect? You trained right through the race. Despite knowing that high mileage the week before a race and perhaps the 8 hour drive doesn't exactly prep you for a stunning performance, I wish it did! My run felt fine, good turn over I think but it really hurt in that last kilometer.
The volunteers were absolutely amazing! They lined the streets on the run, they had a band playing and everyone had huge spirits. I love triathlons in the US - people get so into it! There was also one moment in the race that would even make a Canadian patriotic. They have established one small hill on the course as "Claire's climb" and is a charity fundraiser for Lou Gehrig's disease. As you climb the hill toward a huge american flag which you eventually ride under they had a bagpiper playing on a grassy knoll beside the climb. They also had little slogans that you could read that would cheer you on. The whole setting was just kind of cool.
So the last race of my season is coming up in two weeks... Lifetime Fitness Series race in Dallas where the best of the best come out. I hope to be a little rested for this one. Should be exciting!
No comments:
Post a Comment