Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pan-American Champion!

My first victory as an elite athlete! It did not happen over night and it certainly did not happen without many many challenges and learnings to get me to this spot. Is it all worth it? Absolutely. Is it about the journey? There is nothing better and nowhere else I would rather be day in and day out than right where I am. The win is a testament to that. What makes this victory so great is that I am able to share it with so many others - I am blessed with an incredible community across Canada, the US and continents of the world!

Everything about the lead up to this race was different for me. Given my labral tears just getting to the start line was a huge achievement. I was itching to go and knew with certainty that I am more fit than ever before and also have the skills and strategy to match this fitness. I was also not getting off a week of work and trying to switch gears into "elite athlete" mode a few days before a race. This makes a tremendous difference. What is funny is that I really felt that I knew how the race would play out. Although I was ready for different scenarios, it did play out exactly how I determined it would.

It was really cold in San Francisco (60s with high of mid 70s). At least I thought it was cold given my love for the Austin heat. Because of this I opted to not swim before my race - a first. I normally really like a long swim warm-up and don't normally get really moving in a practise until we are halfway through. I was ready though and when that horn went there was no thought of anything but to move into the lead. The swim played out a little differently than expected as another girl (Brazilian) moved into the lead. I determined that I would not pass her easily so it was better to just sit on her feet and let her do the work. I stayed there until the last 200m or so when I started to pull in line with her. I was able to get up the stairs faster at swim exit and take the honours of fastest swim (or smartest :)

After a DISMAL first transition I got on the bike. I was relaxed as I knew that I would not have any troubles catching up to the 2 other girls. The bike is where I have always had a quiet confidence. This year though it is not only a confidence in my power but also in my improved bike skills. Zane has had me doing crits every Thursday and a lot more riding in groups where understanding tactics is necessary if you want to hang on. Although I still have a lot to learn, things have much improved from my first days of racing. Having skill on this course is a huge advantage as it is so technical with approx. 23 turns per lap. There were 6 laps. After 2 laps I had dropped both girls and did not look back. I continued to gain time on the chase pack of 6 girls and went into T2 with a very solid lead.

In the past I have run scared. Last year at this race I had a solid lead but was run down. In Kelowna, National Championships I was with the lead pack (doing much of the pulling) and was run down. I previously had the attitude of just go until you can't go any more. I seemed to loose time in the last 3 kilometers and just die. This year working with Zane I have two things - efficiency and strategy. Ken (previous coach) has built in me a huge motor. Zane is building on it and bringing out the potential I have out. I maintained my composure in the run. I believe I had good form, turnover and most importantly belief in myself and my abilities. Chantell and Gwen (2nd and 3rd) are very strong runners and had faster run times but I was able to hold them off. With some speed and tempo work which I have yet to add since my injury I will be able to do more than hold them off.

This race obviously means a lot to me. I really could not have got to the start line without the support of a few incredible people: Zane Castro for bringing out the power, skills and faith in me; Ken Brunet for believing and bringing me to where I am; Dr. Taylor (MD) and Dr Zelinski (and team at Advanced Rehabilitation Austin); Kevin Trybalski (RMT)and Dr Glennie (ART); Ruth England and Steve Sisson (Rogue Running); and, Mark Cathcart for his on-going generosity. This win though is for my mom who rarely misses a day to hear how I am and who somehow does not bore with the ups and downs of being a pro triathlete. She is my rock. Thanks Mom - medal is in the mail!

Up next... Calgary 70.3. That is really going to hurt!

For pre and post interview click here
For video of the race click here
For photos click here

2 comments:

  1. When you ask is it about the journey...? I have a saying... "The journey is the prize" :)

    Congratulations Tenille...!

    Nice to see you are learning race strategy.

    Nothing I love more on this Earth than triathlons... was on my way to being a pretty competitive age grouper putting in training times of 36minute 10km, 1:06 40km bike rides and 24minute swims... before I broke my leg. That fall I went from 42minute 10 km to 36min in 3 months! But hey, I can still ride a bit and I just started running a few weeks ago so maybe I could still get my butt around the course.

    Anyway, congratulations on your win.... I am now living my triathlon dreams vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful to hear! I am still after that 36 minute 10km. The difference is that I really do believe it is closely within my reach now. Keep up your hard work - your body will not forget and your return to a 36 minute 10k in 3 months is a testament to that! keep loving life and all that it gives us.

    ReplyDelete